Consumers and businesses are invited to protect their identities by shredding confidential documents at a free paper shredding event this spring.
Stockton Free Paper Shredding:
When: Saturday, May 18 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Where: Community Bank of San Joaquin, 22 W Yokuts Ave, Stockton, CA
Details: Shred up to five grocery sized bags of paper for free, courtesy of Pacific Shredding.
In 2011, identity theft cost Americans $37 billion and affected 11 million adults, according to Javelin Research & Strategy.
“Identity theft can happen to anyone and is a growing crime," said Gary Almond, president of BBB serving northeast California. "Shredding your personal documents is an excellent way to help prevent becoming a victim."
Consumers are urged to shred anything containing financial information, account numbers, PINs, birth dates or Social Security numbers.
For more information, contact BBB at 916-443-6843 or visit necal.bbb.org.
BBB offers the following top five ways consumers can safeguard their identities, in addition to shredding sensitive documents
1. Check your credit report at least once each year. There is only one source authorized to give you one free annual credit file disclosure each year from each of the three consumer credit reporting companies: Call 877-322-8228 or visit www.AnnualCreditReport.com
2. Keep your computer system and browser software up to date, and set to the highest security level you can tolerate.
3. Never use e-mail to communicate sensitive personal information such as your user name, password, Social Security number or credit card number.
4. Don’t store passwords, tax returns or other financial information on your computer hard drive.
5. Don’t use your cell phone to store credit card numbers or other financial information.
To stay up to date on our latest events, follow us on Facebook or on Twitter.
Our next Secure Your ID Day will be
October 19, 2013
Take Advantage of BBB "Secure Your ID" Day
Did you know that protecting your identity is largely in your own hands? Fifty-six percent of identity theft victims traced the theft to something that was stolen from their own possession.
So here’s the first rule: If you don’t need it, shred it – responsibly. BBB is here to help with Secure Your ID Day.
On Saturday, October 19, 2013, BBBs across North America will host this helpful identity theft prevention event featuring FREE on-site shredding plus tips to protect your identity.