In 2012, identity theft was the most complained about form of fraud to the Federal Trade Commission. Protect your identity by taking advantage of one of BBB's free paper shredding events. Held twice a year, the events serve to assist consumers in Sacramento, Stockton and Modesto in properly destroy sensitive paper documents.
Modesto Free Paper Shredding:
When: Friday, October 18, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Where: Oak Valley Community Bank, 3508 McHenry Ave, Modesto, CA 95356
Details: Shred up to five boxes of paper for free, courtesy of American Mobile Shredding.
Sacramento Free Paper Shredding:
When: Saturday, October 19, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Where: American Mobile Shredding, 4391 Pell Dr, Ste D, Sacramento, CA 95838
Details: Shred up to six boxes of paper. Boxes one through three are free to shred. A $3 donation is requested per box for boxes four through six to benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Sacramento.
Consumers are urged to shred anything containing financial information, account numbers, PINs, birth dates or Social Security numbers.
For more information, contact BBB at 916-443-6843 or visit necal.bbb.org.
BBB offers the following top five ways consumers can safeguard their identities, in addition to shredding sensitive documents
1. Check your credit report at least once each year. There is only one source authorized to give you one free annual credit file disclosure each year from each of the three consumer credit reporting companies: Call 877-322-8228 or visit www.AnnualCreditReport.com
2. Keep your computer system and browser software up to date, and set to the highest security level you can tolerate.
3. Never use e-mail to communicate sensitive personal information such as your user name, password, Social Security number or credit card number.
4. Don’t store passwords, tax returns or other financial information on your computer hard drive.
5. Don’t use your cell phone to store credit card numbers or other financial information.
To stay up to date on our latest events, follow us on Facebook or on Twitter.
Our next Secure Your ID Day will be
October 19, 2013
Take Advantage of BBB "Secure Your ID" Day
Did you know that protecting your identity is largely in your own hands? Fifty-six percent of identity theft victims traced the theft to something that was stolen from their own possession.
So here’s the first rule: If you don’t need it, shred it – responsibly. BBB is here to help with Secure Your ID Day.
On Saturday, October 19, 2013, BBBs across North America will host this helpful identity theft prevention event featuring FREE on-site shredding plus tips to protect your identity.